We asked some of the burning questions to see what's hot with accountants right now.
What's the purpose of a website for your business?
This may seem like a simple question, but there are a surprising variety of answers including:
- My current website is dated in its look and feel. We need a website refresh.
- I want a website to be like a 'business card'.
- I'm currently with a traditional firm but I'm leaving to start my own business.
- We want improved accessibility to the website backend.
- I want to separate out our accounting and bookkeeping businesses.
- We're a small practice and we need a professional presence.
- People judge you by your website.
- We want to generate leads.
What are some of the key business issues you're dealing with?
We're all busy, and 'lack of time' came up repeatedly. Not sure we're getting extra hours in the day this year, so we may all need to make time instead:
- Lack of time!
- I'm too busy!
- It's difficult in a new market to get the word out.
- We need to present our pricing models in a way that doesn't scare them off.
- With the tech Addons it's a constant challenge keeping up.
- I've had the same clients for years - to step forward I need an online presence.
- With a new business I need the phone to start ringing straight away!
- I want to build some profile for us.
- We need to be more of a full service firm.
What's your vision for your business?
Positioning your practice for the future, or succession planning, means having a 5 year plan:
- Modernising, and reducing paper content.
- We're trying to be tech savvy.
- We want to attract good CPAs to our firm.
- Lots of growth.
- You never know - there's no limit to what you can achieve online.
- We want to be modern, but local.
Moving forward for 2016
While 20% of the accountants we spoke with have implemented some kind of content marketing strategy, including sending regular newsletters or writing a monthly blog post, 70% are keen to get underway this year and also leverage social media. Being consistent with your content marketing is the key to success.