Blog Smarter, Not Harder!
Blogs have been around since ages ago. So what more could you possibly learn that has not already been written or said?
Well... after talking to 137 accountants over the past 2 years (give or take...) when asked about blogging, the consistent answer is "I don't have time" or "I don't know what to write".
After reading this blog post you'll find you do know what to write, and you do have time. Oh, and it's really important that you do.
- On average companies that blog receive 55% more website visitors. 1
- B2B companies (like you) that blog receive 67% more leads per month than those that don't.2
- Blog articles influence purchase decisions for products & services 3 (see below)
How to Blog Smarter
Step 1 - Have an opinion.
Think about a conversation you had or something you read in the past week that got you thinking - or better yet something that got you inspired or annoyed! Much like my approach for this blog... I was pondering the fact that blogging always seems too hard for the Accountants I talk to, but it shouldn't be. They're just thinking about blogging in the wrong way.
Many Accountants think that a blog post requires a copywriter's touch and needs to be finished to the highest standard. But I contend that your blog should be the place where you converse with your audience (in the first person). It's a place where you start conversations. It's a place where you express your opinion on the things that matter to you (and your clients).
In this way you transform your blog (and website) from a sterile, impersonal, carefully curated public image to a more human place that people can connect with you & your practice.
Think about where connections, followers and conversations are created today:
- LinkedIn - People connect to each other & follow companies
- YouTube - People subscribe to & follow each other's channels
- Tumblr - People follow each other's blogs
- Twitter - People follow people & organisations
- Facebook - People follow people & organisations
- Instagram - People follow people & organisations
- Your Blog - People follow you and your practice. Because they're interested in what YOU have to say.
It's a connected world we live in. So what are you going to do to connect?
How to get people to follow your blog.
- As above. Have an opinion.
- Take some time to write about it.
- Share it (via email & social media)
Once you figure this out, you'll realise that starting meaningful conversations with your clients and prospects and having them spreading the word via social media is not as hard as you thought. In fact it just starts with a thought, an opinion.
PS - At the same time you will also increase your website visitors from people searching for your services via search engines. Plus your Tweets & Shares in Social Media will be much more insightful than "how bad the traffic was" on your way to work.
PPS - I'll be blogging some more about this in the coming weeks and in particular how to align your blog posts with your business strategy so they're helping to achieve your bigger goals.
I hope to see you in the blogosphere sometime soon... click "Subscribe to Blog" below to get more insight & opinion straight to your inbox. ^M
(SOURCES:1 & 2 Hubspot 2010, 3 Jupiter Media, October 2008)